Sunday, October 16, 2011

Milk Allergy :(

A few months ago, I slowly began realizing that Owen is allergic or sensitive to dairy.  This was a major bummer to me, because I am a big believer in consuming lots of raw diary!  We love raw milk, cheese, butter, and yogurt in our house.  He ate dairy at every meal.  The kid LOVES milk. 

How did I realize he was having problems with milk?  It's been kind of a long process.  Owen has had eczema for years, and it started getting worse at the beginning of the summer.  He started getting in his hair and all down his back.  It was keeping him up at night because it itched so badly.  I started giving him apple cider vinegar and coconut oil for the rash, which worked really well, but it wasn't really addressing the problem.  I also started noticing that he had weird emotional reactions after drinking milk.  He'd get super hyper and then crash into tantrums and violence that would not stop for like an hour.  I had no idea that you can have emotional reactions to foods you are allergic too, but it was like I was giving Owen a drug every time he drank a glass of milk.

I was very reluctant to cut out milk, because I was worried about him missing out on all that milk has to offer (calcium, fat, and saturated and omega-3 fats, among other things).  But, once I finally did it, his eczema went away almost over night.  He still has a little on his bottom, but 95% of it is completely gone.  If I really eliminated all dairy (cheese, butter, and baked goods with dairy in them), I bet that last little bit of eczema would be gone too.  To fill the big whole in his diet where I cut milk out, he's started eating a lot more eggs and I've been making soup with homemade stock several times a week, which is an excellent source of calcium.

Once I had identified the problem, I started researching allergies online.  I found some amazing things.  I learned how allergies are formed and how you can reverse and heal your allergies.  It's some pretty incredible stuff!  In my next post, I'll share some of the information I uncovered!

No comments:

Post a Comment