Saturday, October 1, 2011

I'm a Hypocrite

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a real food hypocrite. I've been on this real food journey for 2 1/2 years now, and while we've made lots of improvements to our diet, there are still areas where we are not perfect or even are in direct contradiction to what I believe it best.  It's hard to kick all the bad habits!  So, here are some of the ways where I am hypocritical.

1) Conventional, store-bought butter and cheese- 
Now, while we did make the switch from margarine, I rarely buy grass-fed butter.  Why? It's like $10 for 2 lbs.  That's just really, really steep for our budget.  And, we use a lot of butter.  My eventual plan is to start making it myself.  The good cheese is also extremely expensive.  I know many would disagree, but a good quality grocery-store cheese is still better than no cheese, or fake cheese (like American sliced cheese :P).

2) Sweets - 
I love sweets, especially cookies and ice cream.  While I try to make the cookies from scratch and use better ingredients and I buy the best quality ice cream I can afford, it's still not great.  I really shouldn't eat anything with sugar in it at all.  I wish I had an ice cream maker.  I'd make some of the real stuff!  Not only do I eat sweets, but I eat too many of them as well. :(

3) Frozen Veggies -
We buy nearly all of our fruit fresh and local when possible, but I usually end up buying frozen veggies.  Next to local, fresh-frozen veggies seem to be the next best thing.  And, it's really convenient with two little kids.  I still buy some fresh and local, but at any given time I have several bags of frozen vegetables ready to be used in a pinch.

4) Diet Coke (or Diet Dr Pepper) - 
This is, by far, my worst habit.  And, I drink a lot of it! It's so, so bad, I know, but I just can't seem to give it  up. I know I'm going to get brain cancer.  I know it messes up my body.  I just have a love for it.  I need to stop.  I plan to replace the evil coke in my diet with water kefir.

5) Grocery Store Meat - 
We eat grass-fed beef and wild fish, but I have had a hard time finding good chicken or pork.  I buy the best I can find, but it's still not the best. I also buy some of the pre-marinated pork tenderloins.  Blasphemous, I know.

We've made lots of improvements, mostly homecooked, made-from-scratch meals, sourdough bread, good meats and fats, raw milk, water kefir, lots of veggies, cod liver oil, etc.  Transitioning to a real food diet can be overwhelming, and a lot of people get scared off.  Every change you make in your diet is an improvement and will better your health.  It isn't all or nothing.  We still have plenty room for improvement, but I know that each and every change we've made is better for us and our kids.

So, here's my challenge.  Make a small change today.  Switch to butter.  Cook a meal from scratch this week.  Buy whole milk instead of skim.  Buy nuts instead of chips at the store.  Every small change you make will make a small difference.  All those small changes add up to a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment