Monday, August 16, 2010

Recipe: Flour Tortillas




My husband LOVES burritos. I think it may be his favorite food, definitely if it comes from Chipotle. But, I've had trouble finding tortillas without soy, hydrogenated oils, bleached flour, etc. So, I thought I'd try my hand at making my own. They are quite yummy, if I do say so myself!

Ingredients:
3 cups flour (I use 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 unbleached white)
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 oil (I use coconut, but olive oil would probably work just as well. I don't use any other veg. oils. And, lard would probably taste the most authentic, but I haven't been able to find non-hydrogenated lard in the store.)
1 cup warm water

Directions:
1) Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and kneed.
2) On a greased surface, roll dough into balls. For larger, burrito-sized tortillas, roll balls a little smaller than tennis ball sized. For taco-size tortillas, stick to golf ball sized.

3) Roll one ball of dough as flat and thin as you can get it! This is the tricky part. Make sure your work surface is well greased. Tortillas should be very thin.

4) Heat griddle to Medium heat and heat tortilla until both sides are slightly browned.
5) Repeat for all tortillas.

Total time: About 20 minutes Total yield: About 10 Total cost: About 50 cents

This is not a difficult recipe. However, the first few tortillas you make may be a little tricky. I had trouble getting the tortillas thin enough at first, and also rolling them into symmetrical circles. I also like to make a double recipe batch and freeze them for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment