Monday, July 19, 2010
Recipe: Roasted Chicken with Veggies
This is really one of the easiest recipes ever, and my husband loves it. The chicken comes out very tender and veggies are delicious. And, it's very inexpensive. I can do this meal, which feeds a family of 4 easily, for about $6. It takes about 3 hours to bake, but less than 10 minutes to prep. It's very healthy, and the juice from the chicken gives the veggies a great taste and helps you absorb the nutrients in them.
1 Whole Chicken
9 x 13 baking pan
salt and pepper
1) Wash the chicken and remove giblets (if included)
2) Place breast-side up in baking pan. (I have a lasagna pan that works great for this! It's deep and it has handles, which makes it great for picking up this heavy dish.)
3) Fill pan about 1/2 full with water.
4) Add various veggies to pan. I like to add fresh cut carrots, green beans, cut up potatoes, and broccoli, but you could add pretty much whatever you want. Onions, peas, sweat potatoes, and even frozen veggies would work great! (Obviously, wash and prep the veggies before putting them in!) Try to make sure that water is covering most of your veggies.
5) Salt and pepper chicken and veggies.
6) Bake on 350 for about 2 hours, then 400 for an hour. Cut into it to make sure that all the juices run clear. I like to broil it right at the end, to give the skin that yummy crispiness!