Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Recipe: Bruschetta Pizza...and a little bit of a tangent on bread at the end



This is a great pizza! So good and nutritious. Now, while I like to use whole wheat flour for most things, I used unbleached white flour for this crust. The pizza dough takes a while to rise and set, so plan to start your crust a couple hours before you plan to cook your pizza. It's very easy though. I am just copying and pasting the directions for the pizza crust, because they were a little long. It came off the King Arthur Flour website.

Bruschetta Pizza

Total cooking time:
About 4 hours (most of that time is waiting for the crust to rise)
Actual kitchen time is about an hour.

Ingredients:
Crust -
  • 1 packet of active dry yeast
  • About 1 cup of lukewarm water (give or take based on outside humidity)
  • 2 TBSP Olive Oil
  • 3 cups unbleached white flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt
Toppings -
  • 3 - 4 tomatoes
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • 6 - 8 basil leaves (or a couple TBSPs dried basil)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed
  • Optional: sliced pepperoni
Directions:
1) Using the directions from the following link to make the pizza crust. This recipe yields 2 normal sized crusts. I used 1/2 and froze half. King Arthur Pizza Crust
2) While dough is preparing, prepare the chicken by dicing the breast and baking until fully cooked.
3) Prepare the bruschetta by dicing tomatoes.
4) Combine in a bowl with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil, salt and pepper, and parmesan cheese.
5) Allow to sit for a few minutes, so that the bruschetta matures.
6) Prepare the dough in the pan.
7) Spread 1/2 of your bruschetta onto dough. Use a slotted spoon, so as not to put much liquid onto the pizza. This will make for a very soggy pizza! You want to avoid as much juice as possible.
8) Sprinkle 1/2 of your mozzarella cheese all over pizza.
9) Place pepperoni, chicken, and spinach all over pizza
10) Sprinkle remaining mozzarella on top. Feel free to add more cheese. You can never have too much cheese.
11) Bake on 450 for about 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust is golden. I like to broil the pizza for about 30 seconds at the end, to give the cheese and nice, golden color.

This pizza is really not as difficult as it sounds, and it's fantastic! Mmmmmm... So many healthy ways to cook a pizza. It doesn't have to be junk food. And this pizza is LOADED with veggies. No added sugar, grease, and MSG in this baby! Lots of veggies and protein. The pizza crust is only there to help the good stuff get in your mouth easier.

And, that's my bread philosophy, not to break into a tangent. Bread is not the best food for you. It depletes your body of nutrients and can make you fat. But, bread can be loaded full of things that are awesome for you (nutrient heavy-things), like veggies and all natural peanut butter and yummy butter and cheese and meat. So, when you eat bread (or crusts or tortillas or whatever), think about what you are putting on it. Let bread be a vehicle of nutrients to your body. Stuff it full of good stuff. And, please, don't settle for nasty, grocery store bread. Real, homemade bread is so much better in taste and better for you. Even if you don't use sprouted grains, making bread from scratch is better. Tomorrow, I'll post an awesome and easy homemade bread recipe that anyone and everyone can succeed at.

Enjoy your food!

3 comments:

  1. I make my pizza crust from whole wheat flour. It is white winter wheat. I think some call it golden buff. I grind it myself. It gives the crust a great flavor and is very filling. Your toppings sound great. I think I may try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done a whole wheat crust before, and that's what I normally do. I just happen to make this dough a few days ago out of white flour. But, it is unbleached. :) I bet this recipe would be just as good with whole wheat flour, maybe add a little more salt and maybe a little honey. I recommend King Arthur Flour. It's my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't know why I’m crazy about pizza. For me it is just awesome, from its aroma to its appearance. Delicious isn't it? Those who are pizza lovers like me, just check out www.Learnaboutpizza.com and you will learn a lot about pizza and its mouth watering recipes. Be amazed!

    ReplyDelete