Sunday, July 11, 2010

Born Again Omnivores (Part One)

Veganism is obviously the healthiest way to eat, right? Wrong! Humans are not herbivores or carnivores. We are omnivores, and we should be proud of it! Veganism, as a movement, mostly stems from the inhumane treatment of animals. And, I couldn't agree with them more on this issue, which is one reason why I support the idea of traditional food. I believe that animals are the best for us when raised the way God intended for them to be raised. Cows grazing on green grass. Chickens eating bugs and worms that they have to work to find. Pigs rummaging. It's better tasting, healthier meat from happy animals.

Much of the problems modern science has found with so-called "unhealthy" meats is because of the unnatural ways that they are raised today. For example, grass-fed cows have leaner, more nutritionally dense meat and none of the harmful strains of e. coli, which evolved because of the highly acidic stomachs of the corn-fed cows. Free-range chickens lay eggs much higher in omega-3s.

I got this article off of the facebook of Nina Planck (author of Real Food and Real Food for Mother and Baby). It's the story of several Vegans who are joining the growing movement of those throwing away their soy milk and embracing real food again: Born Again Onmivores.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting article! I like how one of the "converts" mentioned that he treats meat as an ingredient, not the main event of a meal. I'm not a vegetarian, but more days than not I get my protein from non-animal sources like beans and lentils. I like meat when I eat it and my body craves it, but I rarely miss it when it's not there. It never fails to surprise me how many people don't think it's a meal unless a big piece of meat is involved. Thanks for the great article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! That was my favorite part too. The difficult part is that most plant-based protein is not complete protein, which is why there is such a big soy push. I believe it contains all but one of the protein amino acids, but I could be wrong on that. But, there are also plenty of non-meat animal protein sources too, like cheese, milk, and eggs that do provide complete protein.

    ReplyDelete